Friday, May 14, 2010

My dog chewed his nail off and now it looks like ground beef and its infected bad.I keep it covered with meds?

but the vet told me he should cut it off.Now should I put him down or cut his foot off.He is 10 years old I'm worried that he wont be the same dog.My dog chewed his nail off and now it looks like ground beef and its infected bad.I keep it covered with meds?
You will have to assess the rest of his health. Are his joints in good shape? Is he over weight? Is he fairly active?





Dogs and cats both can do very well losing a limb. I had a 15 year old cat that lost a hind leg to cancer. He lived another 5 years and was very happy and mobile. He even got more active after the cancerous limb was removed.





This will be a discussion between you and your vet.





Good luck!My dog chewed his nail off and now it looks like ground beef and its infected bad.I keep it covered with meds?
Too late now. If you want to let your dog live with you for a little longer, I suggest getting his leg off. It will take practice to get him to learn how to walk, but it's just like a human with one leg.


Think about it...


Your dog will still be the same, don't worry.
Let him cut it off. The dog would be much better than.
%26gt;.I am sorry to hear that. Take the dog to another vet and get a second opinion. That is a tough choice to make, I would have a hard time with that too.
Oh for heaven's sake take him to the vet and get him some antibiotics. If it is a dew claw and the vet is recommending it be removed then let the vet do so.
The vet wants to cut his FOOT off or just that toe? If it's just a toe, I would say yes. If it's the entire foot, then they might as well take the whole leg to help the dog balance.





Some dogs are very healthy at 10 and some are very old at 10. Only you know your dog's attitude. Dogs normally do fine on 3 legs as long as they don't have other issues like bad hips or knees.





If it has gotten Gangrene, then you'll have to talk to the vet and weigh your options.





My dogs tend to live to 14 or so.
If the infection spreads into his blood it will kill him. Listen to your vet. Dogs do very well with 3 paws, even at his age.
I am not sure I understand.. But if you aren't happy with the information you are getting from your vet, or you think he isn't giving you all the options, get a 2nd opinion. If the 2nd vet tells you the same thing, then you can maybe make a more informed decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment