Friday, May 14, 2010

How do I cut my yorkies nails? will it hurt her? How much should I cut?

This will be my 1st time cutting my yorkies nails, they are super long! However, will it hurt her? how much should I cut? What nail clipper do you recommend? She is 3 months.How do I cut my yorkies nails? will it hurt her? How much should I cut?
If you've never done it before, you may want to go to your vet and have it done. However if your puppy still has the baby nails - not too thick, you can actually just take a pair of regular nail clippers and take small bits off until they are the length you want. Be sure not to take too much off, as you will cause her to bleed by hitting the quick.





Some people say it hurts the nerves when you cut, but there's also a new file style pedicure for dogs that you can buy online.... it's what we use for our dogs. How do I cut my yorkies nails? will it hurt her? How much should I cut?
you can see a definate groove in the nail, where the nail is attached to the paw, its thicker and then it thins out.. only go as far as the thin part goes and no further.. or if they're lighter colored nails you'll beable to actually see the nerve in the nail dont ever go past the nerve if you can see it other wise the safest bet is to cut off a little bit at a time but never go further then that groove i mentioned before!! but you definatly dont want to damage the nerve( also known as the quick) because it will bleed, and can cause pain to your puppy!! Definatly use a small nail clipper for dogs!!they're shaped to help prevent damaging the quick!!


And, really if it's your first time, your best bet would be taking her to the vet, they'll also bealbe to explaine to you better on how to do it, and maybe even help you try!! =]
I would suggest either taking your dog for it's first nail clipping to a vet or a groomer. The fee is usually under $10. The person that clips the nails can show you exactly how to do it and even give you a couple of pointers to make it easier.
Take her to the vet. They only charge a minimal fee, like $8. The vet can show you how to do it correctly! Take the nail clippers you have bought and have the vet use those so you know how you should hold the clippers and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment