Monday, May 10, 2010

Are concrete preches for my cockatiel bad for its feet? I know it is good for its nails? wont it cause lesions?

I have always heard that concrete or textured perches are a ';must-have'; for cockatiels because they can keps its nails trimmed. But I recently read an atricle that said that concrete or textured perches can irritate the bird's feet and can cause lesions and other skin problems? is this true?Are concrete preches for my cockatiel bad for its feet? I know it is good for its nails? wont it cause lesions?
Wood and pumice perches are good for cockatiel's feet. They will exercise them and keep them in good condition. Concrete perches are good for keeping the nails trimmed. Sometimes concrete can irritate the bird's feet. You need to keep an eye on your cockatiel's feet if you use a concrete perch. I have one in some, but not all, of my parakeet and finch cages but I've never noticed any problems due to the perch. Don't use sandpaper perches because they are very hard on a cockatiel's delicate feet and can cause lesion, abrasions, and more. It's a good idea to have perches of different sizes and materials to let your cockatiel exercise all parts of its feet.Are concrete preches for my cockatiel bad for its feet? I know it is good for its nails? wont it cause lesions?
I consider them ';must haves'; for all of my parrots. I've had most of mine for over 12 years, with absolutely no problems what so ever. I haven't had to clip any nails in 12 years either.


Make sure you get the right size, and make sure it is the highest perch.
If it only has one perch that is concrete, that's good for the toenails. But if they don't have any natural wood perches. To be effective, place a concrete perch near the food/water and get other natural wood perches.





I hope this helps! :)
whats a prech ...Or do you mean pearch LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment